Thursday, August 19, 2010

I think I got sunburnt today !!

hello all, 
I did the Pilbara gorge tour today 7.30am until 5.30pm so it was a big day. If you don't know the definition of terrifying I will explain it to you. Terrifying is sitting in a Coaster bus on a narrow corrugated dirt road with lots of other traffic (creating dust) at 80-90kmh. As you may be aware a Coaster is no sports car. I just put my faith in the driver knowing he does this every day.
First destination was Hancock Gorge.
Hancock Gorge
This was closely followed by Oxer lookout. Oxer lookout is the junction of Weano, Red, Hancock and Joffre gorges.
20 years ago i stood right out at the end (in the centre of the pic) in the days before anyone worried about Occ Health and Safety

It was then a trek into Weano Gorge, these gorges are approximately 100 metres deep
In Weano Gorge
I have been very disappointed in my photos here, it is extremely difficult to take photos here as you have deep dark rust coloured gorges capped by brilliant sunlight and glare reflecting of the spinifex. It has been giving my camera headspins.
Joffre Falls
Knox Gorge
Tomorrow I head towards the coast (about 680km) so don't know if i will get all the way to Exmouth. I will probably have a free camp somewhere along the way meaning I may not have a post tomorrow.
It is currently 20c outside and it is 8.20pm suffer Melbournites.

No comments:

Post a Comment