Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wide loads and Gorges

hello all, today was superb 24c, I have just finished reading about the weather in Melbourne, suffer !!!!
There is a saying that everything is big in the Pilbara and I think it is true judging by the wide load I had to give way to today. There was two loads, both having a tow vehicle and a push vehicle. Every rest area they would stop between the entrance and exit of the rest area to let traffic go around. If you happened to come upon it between rest areas bad luck you had a slow trip.
Now that's what I call a wide load!!
I started the day from Newman and travelled to the Eastern entrance of Karajini,
Typical roadside scenery
I don't know if any of these miners on mega dollars up here actually do anything, each one seems to have a company 4x4 and just drives around all day, anyway I headed to Circular Pool first.
Circular Pool from the lookout
Dales Gorge
From the Circular Pool lookout there is a very short drive to Fortesque Falls and the Fern Pool

Looking down Dales Gorge
Fortesque Falls
I climbed down the goat track to Fortesque Falls and another 500 metres upstream is the Fern Pool.
Fortesque Falls from in the Gorge
Fern Pool
I am in Tom Price tonight and tomorrow night and booked on a gorge tour in the morning. This will allow me to see Oxer lookout and Weano Gorge that my camper insurance won't allow. Pretty rough having a 7.30am pickup time while on holidays though. Oxer lookout, if i remember from 20 odd years ago was spectacular so hopefully it will be worth sitting in a Coaster Bus on a corrugated dirt road for 50km
until tomorrow

1 comment:

  1. Barry the area is spectacular. Makes us want to go and see the other half of Australia
    jill

    ReplyDelete