Tuesday, August 24, 2010

still heading south

Hello all,
before leaving Carnarvon this morning I stopped by the decommissioned OTC Satellite tracking station, this tracking station was utilised in the moon landing and was shut after tracking Haley's comet in 1987. I skipped the Blowholes and Point Quobba on this trip as I visited this area a few times while living in Perth.
Trusty camper beside the OTC tracking station
Carnarvon OTC dish
I also gave Monkey Mia a big miss this time around, I have been there several times before and think it is over rated. the forgotten Stromatolites at Hamelin Pool and the fact you travel over a narrow piece of land  to access the Peron Peninsula far more interesting. This narrow piece of land has allowed the authorities to electrify the fence line and eradicate all feral pests on the peninsula and needs to be applauded. I have seen more wild goats than sheep during my travels.....
Ok I pushed on to Kalbarri this afternoon traveling through the Murchison Gorge area.
Kalbarri National Park
Murchison River
Kalbarri National Park
I have been looking at the weather for Melbourne and I would like to let you know it is 8.15pm here and it is currently 18C. The rain I had sprinkles of further North ended up dumping 21mm on the Pilbara, so I have been just ahead of it all the way, the forecast for tomorrow is 25c
In the morning I am heading along the cliffs on the coast road to Geraldton, the last time I traveled this road it was gravel, it is now the major entry to Kalbarri.

No comments:

Post a Comment